Monday, April 13, 2009

AMusings

I know that I wait 6 months every year for baseball season to make its grand return. It then takes approximately 24 hours for me to hate everyone associated with the sport. Fans, players, reporters, fans, coaches, fans, owners, umpires, fans, etc. Just within this first week of baseball I have seen and heard the following things that have lead me to believe that either the baseball gods hate me, or that everyone who is involved in the great American pastime possesses an IQ below 10:

- An ESPN segment on the “biggest surprises so far”. This took place on Friday morning. Most teams had played 3 games. 3 games. How surprising can you be with 159 games left to go? More so, doesn’t Tim Kurkijan have anything else to do than tell me what he’s surprised about after one series of baseball?

- A caller call in to a radio show here in Chicago telling the hosts that he hopes “the Cubs can just win 2 out of every 3 games this season”. For those of you who may not have your abacuses nearby, that would be a final record of 108-54. Isn’t that a little unrealistic? If you’re rooting for your team to win 108 games, why not just root for 162-0? If every team had the ability to win 108 games every year, why have only two teams done it in the last ten years?

- When Jim Thome hit the game winning home run on Tuesday for the White Sox, I saw no less than 6 facebook statuses that read something like “haha Cubs, White Sox win” or “White Sox win, I hope the Cubs lose”. Listen, I’m a Cubs fan, but I don’t care what the Sox do. Why would you, as a “fan” of a certain team, care what another team does? I don’t know if this is something that only goes on in the windy city, but I will never understand it.

- Several people either on the radio, on the internet, or in person tell me that Kevin Gregg is no good as a Cubs closer after blowing the save Friday in Milwaukee. He has blown one save. One. Anyone looking at the National League central is probably picking the Cubs to win, and not by a close margin either. One blown save will not amount to a problem. Give him time. How much time? Maybe more than a week.

Here’s all I’m trying to say to you baseball fans out there; baseball season is 6 months long. Every team has the opportunity of playing 162 games. This is not football. 1 loss does not make a difference. Every game is not the end of the world. Please, if you have any sense of decency or the ability to think, start thinking about what you’re saying before you say it. I know everyone is excited about the game returning, but relax. You’ll never make to October if you’re having heart attacks in April.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, no kidding. I don't remember if it was Sports Center or Baseball Tonight, but one of the anchors was asking if Teixiera not producing in the first couple games was a sign that the Yankees will not be contenders this year. The replay to this was something along the lines of, it is a 162 game season, I don't think the first couple games are the end of the world.

    I think the problem is that we follow all the games, most people drop out around mid-May and come back in during the last week of September.

    ReplyDelete