Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Realizations

One Shining Moment


There are three things that make me openly cry whenever I watch them on TV. The first being the final episode of Saved By The Bell when Zack must participate in the Bayside Ballet in order to obtain his final credit for graduation. Hugging Mr. Belding at the end and thanking all of his friends, it touches my soul. The second thing that makes me cry every time I watch it is when I see Mufasa get trampled by the stampede of wilderbeast in the Lion King. Forcing poor baby Simba to take on his evil uncle Scar all by himself… tragic. The third and final thing that makes me cry every time I watch it is taking place tonight (last night for you readers). One Shining Moment. The anthem of college basketball. Every year at the conclusion of the tournament, CBS puts together a highlight reel from tournament and sets it to the music of One Shining Moment. Written by David Barrett and performed by such artists as Teddy Pendergrass and Luther Vandross, the song One Shining Moment symbolizes everything that is good and right about sports.

The song debuted in 1987, the year Keith Smart was left open on the baseline and the Hoosiers added banner number five to the rafters of Assembly Hall. Ever since then it has been the staple of the NCAA Tournament. Clips of kids diving for loose balls, sulking in agony after being defeated at the buzzer and celebrating with incredible joy after pulling off an epic upset. Every kid openly admits to wanting to be in that video.

The majority of the athletes that have competed in this tournament and all of the tournaments in the past do not go on to become professionals. There are no shoe contracts, no commercials and no V.I.P. treatment at local restaurants and clubs. This is their one moment to be a part of history. This is their One Shining Moment.

College sports will forever be my favorite over anything professional. The reason is quite simple. Every time I watch college athletics I am reminded why sports became such a big part of my life in the first place. Kids giving everything they have for one reason, the pure love of the game they play. Representing their schools and showcasing them to entire nation. One Shining Moment gets it. It is a snapshot of everything great about sports and competition. No one is mailing it in because they just inked their big contract or because they want to secure their spot at the top of next year’s draft lottery.

Maybe I’m getting older, losing some of my energy or maybe I’m just now realizing that when it comes down to it, I am not a big fan of people. Whatever the case may be, the fact remains that I am losing interest in the logistics of sports, the business side and everything negative that comes with it. Some people take pride in being able recite contract figures, who has what agent and the correct corporate names of stadiums and arenas around the country. I call those people losers.

This year more than ever I am going to let the song sink in as I watch the highlights. I am in denial that almost every player in college athletics is younger than me. Sam Young could get the senior citizen discount at my local golf course if he showed up for a tee time. But, it is this same reflection that is forcing me to take a much more enjoyable approach to my sports watching.

Make it pure. Make it fun. Work your butt off on the court and on the field. May the best team win and shake hands after it’s over. Show emotion and passion. I am not naïve enough to think that the business of sports is not important. Money must exchange hands in anything successful. But, for four minutes every year I will allow myself the pleasure of getting back to the basics. Getting back to the love of the game and the love of sports. It makes me feel like I’m alive…

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Spend an evening watch minor league baseball (Go Indians!) and you see some of that as well. Its not college, I grant you, but most of those guys will never make it to the bigs, but they all love the game and play with heart. There is nothing like the sights, sounds, and smells of a minor league ballpark!

    ReplyDelete